As volunteer managers and leaders, we are in the forefront of community response to the pandemic. We know that we are being asked to do a lot but are confident in the abilities of all to provide direction and leadership.
During this time DOVIA Sacramento encourages you to remain in contact with your volunteers, especially if your organization is not able to operate. Recognize your volunteers virtually. Share this list of resources with them and encourage those who can to volunteer in whatever way they feel safe.
Please send your suggested additional resources to email@example.com
Volunteer Redeployment and Reconstitution: Tools and Strategies
June 9, 2020 DOVIA Sacramento Zoom Meeting Materials
Redeployment and Reconstitution: Mandates and Models
Redeployment and Reconstitution: Plan. Do. Check. Act.
Redeployment and Reconstitution: Virtual Work and Volunteers
July 9, 2020 DOVIA Sacramento Zoom Virtual Networking Event Materials
Providing Volunteer Internships and Community Service During COVID 19
September 10, 2020 DOVIA Sacramento Virtual Event Materials
- Schools are ready and able to send volunteer intern/community students - either virtually or in-person.
- Agencies are not ready to receive volunteer intern/community service students - either virtually or in-person.
- Many agencies do not have the technical skills and/or resources to support virtual volunteer assignments.
- Out of necessity, teachers and professors are lifting internship and community service requirements from their curriculums.
- Agencies are focusing on bringing back staff (laid off/furloughed), students with mandated internship educational requirements, paid interns, volunteer interns, traditional volunteers, then high school students...in that order.
- High school students, especially this fall, should focus on volunteer mutual aid activities.
- Assignments that are administrative in nature (ex. Finance, Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Information Technology) lend themselves better to virtual volunteer internships and community service, and, remote leadership/supervision.
- Food banks have a great need for in-person volunteers.
- Others on the call described currently using in-person interns (hospice, museum) or have in-person opportunities (faith community).
- For further information or help, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
School Information and ResourcesSacramento State University Community Engagement Center
15 Best Practices for Internship Programs/National Association of Colleges and Employers
CA Intern Network
American River College Internships and Career Services
Working and Volunteering Virtually
Hub Spot Academy: Free Remote Leadership Training
Jayne Cravens: Virtual Volunteering Workshop for Points of Light Conference 2020
COVID-19 Government Mandates
COVID-19 Recovery Financial Aid and Grant Opportunities
Resources for Volunteer Managers
Sample Volunteer Waiver Form.docx
Templates for Communicating with Volunteers
Resources for Making and Donating Masks
100 Million Masks (American Hospital Association)
Nurse Angel Network
Masks 4 Humanity